When Is a Car Legally Yours

Paying for registration doesn`t make the car yours – it just renews license plates under your parents` name. Essentially, you`re paying to keep your car on the road for another year. Each state has its own rules for car titles. Your life will likely be much easier in the long run to keep up with changes as they happen. This means getting an updated title when you switch to a new condition or when the vehicle changes hands. This also applies if the vehicle passes from one family member to another. Once emancipated, a minor is legally capable of entering into a contract, so the question of how old you must be to register a car is no longer valid. An emancipated minor can legally sign a contract for the sale of a car and an insurance policy. Emancipation laws vary from state to state. If your state allows minors to title vehicles, you can buy the car yourself, but in most states, you`ll still need a parent or guardian to register the vehicle.

You will also need the help of a parent or guardian to purchase insurance for the vehicle. When it comes to the question “How old do you have to be to name a car?”, the answer varies depending on the condition you call home. But in most cases, you need to be 18 to legally drive a car on your own behalf. North Carolina is similar to Texas in that North Carolina`s DOT does not set a minimum age limit for owning a vehicle. A car can be named in the name of a minor, provided the owner can sign their name on the title application. As if you didn`t have enough when you move to a new state, add the registration and rebranding of your car. States have their own schedules to make your car legal in its new home, but 30 days is a good start. If “or” separates the names of the two owners, each owner can legally sign the transfer of ownership.

If “and” separates the two names, the transfer of ownership requires the signature of both owners. While it`s possible to title a car in the name of a teenager or even a 10-year-old (in some states), the vehicle must be legally registered and insured on the road, and most states require a person to be 18 to legally purchase a policy such as an insurance policy. Insurance is another requirement for legal driving, but again, the car doesn`t reach you. Assuming you`re in the United States, the title says you own the car. Registration and insurance will not do that. If the car has a privilege (i.e. borrowed or rented), you won`t get the title and neither will your parents. You should ask the lien holder to transfer the loan to you or anything else (maybe not a good idea), if there is no lien, your parents should sign you the title. At least in MA, I believe the transfer of ownership is 75 plus sales tax. Then the property tax you think of is called the excise tax, which is pretty cheap unless the car is of great value.

They can`t legally charge you for registration and insurance, but if they do, you shouldn`t use the car. In the end, even if you don`t want to, you need to talk to your parents and understand the details. Not all states. I know NC and KY are known for this and usually you have to pay this property tax to register your car. It`s like they`re punishing you for having a newer car. I remember when I lived there, they charged me $165 between property taxes and registration, plus an inspection. In Ohio, you don`t have vehicle property taxes every year and you only pay a fee when you first own the vehicle, and then registration is about $60 per year with the option to register for several years. The car isn`t yours until you have your name on the cover – it`s an official government document on “silver” paper (the kind with randomly colored threads to prevent tampering) and printed in shades of green and blue with increased ink that can`t come out of a copier. On the back of the title is a short form for transferring the title – spaces for your name, the signature of the original owner, a date and possibly a price. And not much more than that.

The front of the title describes the car, including the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of that particular car and the current owner. This form will be submitted to the DMV and in return, you will receive a new title with YOUR name in the owner`s field.